The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-think-that-everyone-should-have-some-mutual-fund-11523636.aspx

Subject:  Re: What To Do? Date:  11/15/1999  10:23 AM
Author:  brucedoe Number:  15379 of 75890

I think that everyone should have some mutual fund that tracks the S&P500. The best one is the Vanguard 500 Trust: telephone 1(800)662-7447 (minimum investment is $3000 in a non-IRA account). Beyond that, I think you need to consider such things as your age, what other assets you have, how much stress can you stand if the markets go down, etc. I personally like medical stocks because of the aging baby boomers and tell my friends, if in doubt buy Pfizer (NYSE, symbol PFE) which also is down considerably from its high. It has appreciated exceedingly well over the years and pays a small dividend that it raises nicely every year (for 32 years in a row!). Vanguard also has a very nice Health Care Fund. With $100,000, you maybe could afford to put a bit into the NASDAQ 100 Trust (ASE, symbol QQQ), but it has risen 46% this year and is at its top right now. I would wait for a downturn. Also you might consider the Foolish Four since you are aware of fool.com.

Good luck,

brucedoe
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us