The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/this-is-a-question-that-concerns-me-also-i-have-11523766.aspx

Subject:  Re: Retiree Seeks Foolish Investment Info Date:  11/15/1999  10:50 AM
Author:  sweetpeaches Number:  15380 of 76418

This is a question that concerns me also.  I have a need to have access to funds, so while long-term buy and hold helps build wealth, how does one go about living on wealth? Having gone the bonds and mutual funds route with the majority of investments, I find that buying well and watching 20% - 50% growth in a relatively short time is not all that difficult.  The problem is in selling and taking the profit. One of the problems for me has been paying the capital gains tax. For this I've given up growth for safety. In an IRA you pay only on disbursement.  Something to look at.   

The Motley Fool Investment Guide touches on this in the last paragraph on page 25.  I will quote it here in case you don't have the book. "So, if you're looking out beyond 5 years-but with income needs-you're probably going to do much better by staying invested Foolishly (in good stocks) and annually selling off a portion of your nest egg to meet your income requirements...better than any other single investment approach."

Sounds good to me....just takes Foolish courage.  

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us