The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/need-some-opinions-on-how-to-invest-11527293.aspx

Subject:  Re: What To Do? Date:  11/15/1999  10:13 PM
Author:  mathetes Number:  15405 of 75776

Need some opinions on how to invest $100,000....Thanks

John -- I've taken a few minutes to look at your other message board postings. Going by the general and basic nature of the questions you've posted here and elsewhere, I worry that you are looking for somebody else to make your decisions for you, something that's not really a good idea. Much of the advice you've gotten in response to this question is decent advice, but if you followed it and did well, you wouldn't have learned anything to help you manage your own situation; if you followed it and it didn't turn out well, you still wouldn't have learned anything to help you manage your own situation.

You really need to decide whether you want to devote the time to reading, for one, The Motley Fool Investment Guide, and devoting the time and energy to making your own decisions. If you don't, and there's nothing wrong with that -- a lot of very fine people just don't have the patience or the temprament -- then either get somebody else to manage it for you or, at most, go to a Vanguard and buy into their S&P Index Fund.

From my own experience -- I just turned 58 years old, so I'm not too far behind you (may not be behind you at all!) -- I never would have thought 2 years ago that I'd be enjoying this investment stuff as much as I am. So I'd encourage you to dig in and read, patiently trying out some Foolish strategies, perhaps with hypothetical folios first. But I love to read; that may not be your style. The other thing you could do is join an investment club, where you learn with others...

mathetes
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us