The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/bluesh-has-the-right-approach-generalizations-are-11529490.aspx

Subject:  Re: Retiree Seeks Foolish Investment Info Date:  11/16/1999  11:08 AM
Author:  lakerc Number:  15424 of 76398

BluesH has the right approach. Generalizations are not going to be of much help for your mother's financial planning without knowing the specifics of her situation. From the sound of things, it doesn't sound like your mother has a serious problem with finances; instead it sounds like you are the one with the problem of trying to develop an investment strategy that continues to provide her with a comfortable lifetime income AND still leaves a sizeable estate for you to inherit. That in itself is not so difficult, except that you are also faced with a significant probability that she will spend a considerable time in a nursing home, or need in-home care (Hint: 50% of the folks over 85 will develop Alzheimers). That costs $40-60K per year in todays dollars. Medicare covers very little of this. Medicaid doesn't kick in until her assets are virtually depleted. The Federal Gov't takes a dim view of late-life asset transfers to get around these requirements. You need the services of an experienced financial planner and estate-planning attorney to set up the documents that will minimize this kind of problem. This is not an area for amateurs, no matter how well-intentioned. For the record, I am neither a financial planner, nor attorney. I have seen my late father-in-law's estate seriously depleted from Alzheimers care, and my own 85 year old mother is not inclined to take advice from others, including me. Good luck!
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us