The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/fraud-11535344.aspx

Subject:  Fraud? Date:  11/17/1999  11:03 AM
Author:  AntiTrader Number:  19983 of 308693

I had an interesting experience this weekend, and I would like some of your opinions.

I went to dinner with some friends at a local carribean eatery called SweetWater's Jam House. The server very spicy Jamacian food (recommend it if you are ever in Portland). Well, it wasn't cheap and I don't like putting money on my AMEX if I can help it. The bill came for my girlfriend and I and it was $47.57. It had a line item for a "automatic gratuity" (we were in a part of 11 people), which I completely dissagree with anyway, of $7.13. I had eight dollars in cash in my pocket and decided I would just throw that in as tip and keep the extra eight bucks off the card. so, I scratched out the 7.13 and filled in the total like with the $47.57 and signed the receipt. Well, I checked my AMEX bill online yesterday and they had changed the amount to the full $54.70 without my authorizing it by signature. So, I in effect payed a 30% tip for what I would call poor service (althought I will admit it is difficult to serve 11 people; I know, I was a server myself during college).

My question is, is this out-an-out Credit Card Fraud? They are making grumblings like they aren't going to replace those funds on my card. Only time will tell. I just want to be able to tell them that what they did was illegal if it is, so that I can get the money back. By the way, it is more the principle than it is the money. $7.13 won't break my budget.

Thanks,
Brian
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us