The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/write-a-short-note-and-send-the-receipt-to-amex-11536988.aspx

Subject:  Re: Fraud? Date:  11/17/1999  3:37 PM
Author:  EricEdelman Number:  20033 of 308519

Write a short note and send the receipt to Amex..
I was once charged a $5.00 fee by a hotel for telephone service. I did not use the phone, and I didn't request that it be turned on. Amex got me my $5.00 refund, but they probably shouldn't have. Why? My fault - I had signed the charge slip when I checked in, not when I checked out. With a receipt, you should be in good shape.

Eric

The bill came for my girlfriend and I and it was $47.57. It had a line item for a "automatic gratuity" (we were in a part of 11 people), which I completely dissagree with anyway, of $7.13. I had eight dollars in cash in my pocket and decided I would just throw that in as tip and keep the extra eight bucks off the card. so, I scratched out the 7.13 and filled in the total like with the $47.57 and signed the receipt. Well, I checked my AMEX bill online yesterday and they had changed the amount to the full $54.70 without my authorizing it by signature. So, I in effect payed a 30% tip for what I would call poor service (althought I will admit it is difficult to serve 11 people; I know, I was a server myself during college).

My question is, is this out-an-out Credit Card Fraud? They are making grumblings like they aren't going to replace those funds on my card. Only time will tell. I just want to be able to tell them that what they did was illegal if it is, so that I can get the money back. By the way, it is more the principle than it is the money. $7.13 won't break my budget.

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us