The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/dont-even-get-me-started-on-restaurants-taking-11537305.aspx

Subject:  Re: Fraud? Date:  11/17/1999  4:24 PM
Author:  MikeMcLean Number:  20041 of 308542

Don't even get me started on restaurants taking advantage of large parties....Give 20 people one server...get lousy service....then charge a compulsary service charge. Olive Garden is the worst.

I actually had a restaurant call the police on me. The service was sooooo bad that I wasn't going to tip anything. They didn't accept that, and called the police. This restaurant was a bar/restaturant combo, and obvisouly had problems in the past, the police sent 5 cars with lights and sirens . . .

FWIW, the police politely informed the restarant management that they can not legally enforce a "mandatory tip," even if it is printed on the menu or on a posted sign.

The manager then tried to change the bill. We had sent some food back because it was that bad, and they had removed these items from the bill. But, since I wasn't paying the tip they wanted to add them back to the bill. The police officer (not so politely now) informed the manager that the bill I was presented with was the final bill, no changes allowed.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us