The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: Nondeductable IRA contributions Date:  12/2/1999  10:27 AM
Author:  sphillipnew Number:  15826 of 88019

Just wondering...why are you using Married Filing Separately? That is the most disadvantageous filing status and is generally used when two people are separated and don't want their incomes figured together.

You are allowed to contribute to non-deductible IRAs--$2000 for you and $2000 for your wife.

The key to when you contribute to your IRAs is the year with which you specify the funds. You have from Jan 1 to tax day of the following year to make a contribution. For example, you could contribute $2000 now for you 1999 contribution and contribute another $2000 in February for your 2000 contribution. Similarly, you could just deposit $4000 at the same time between Jan 1 2000 and April 16 2000-being sure to specify $2000 as 99 and $2000 as 00.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us