The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/retirement-at-55-11623024.aspx

Subject:  Retirement at 55 Date:  12/7/1999  6:47 PM
Author:  FOOLIRWIN Number:  15941 of 75665

I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has retired at 55. Are there any special considerations when a 33-year career at a major U.S. Retailer allows retirement at 55 and he wants out! 401(k) portfolio is healthy and seems to be well-allocated and balance, and both husband (the one retiring at 55) and wife (age 53, still a few years to go, self-employed, will keep working) have both traditional IRAs as well as Roth IRAs, and wife has Keogh through self-employment -- since IRAs can't be tapped until 59-1/2, and SS won't kick in for us until age 63, I believe, with the new laws, is it possible to be truly retired (i.e., not work), or is working part-time good sense for the next four or five years? (No aversion to work here -- just want to know the options -- no work means maybe more travel). Most investments are sheltered -- small percentage are taxable. Children grown and out of the nest.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us