The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: 401K Tax Regulations? Date:  12/10/1999  9:00 AM
Author:  edcosoft Number:  22784 of 127617

Would that it were so! In fact, distributions from a 401(k) plan are taxed as ordinary income,
not at capital gains rates, no matter how long you have held the property. --Bob

I 2nd that. However, if you're 59 1/2 you can take a Lump Sum Distribution and tax it on form 4972 at special lower 5 year avergaing this year. After 1999 you'll have to be born before 1936 and can use 10 year averaging. Ed
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us