The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/hey-isiszion-a-roth-like-you-said-is-made-with-11653121.aspx

Subject:  Re: How do I effectively use a Roth IRA Date:  12/13/1999  4:42 PM
Author:  Blueyale Number:  21752 of 308481

Hey Isiszion,

A Roth like you said is made with post tax contributions so you everything that comes out is tax free.

As far as maximizing investment returns, it's hard to give advice since I don't anything about your risk tolerance or your age till retirement, or any other needs you might need to tap the Roth for (e.g. first time contribution to house or educational expenses).

But there are certain investment strategies that work well with a no-taxed account like a Roth. Any stock investing large dividends should be placed in a roth along with anything that requires annual turnover where you need to rebalnce and sell some stock (RP4 fits both criteria). Also anything where you might want to speculate in the short term profits (not that I'm advocating) like those B2B, internet, and other high tech fliers with suspect fundamentals but great technicals.

Cheers,
John
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us