The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: Investing for parents Date:  12/16/1999  3:14 PM
Author:  Melman Number:  16424 of 88513

It is not necessary to pay a financial planner to do the basics for you--although an FP will bring lots more ideas to the table and the skills that go with it--for a price.


Please see my posting #16178 on this board for an explanation of why I'm trying to get my parents to use a planner.

But back to the original question. How should a person invest who is heading into retirement with only $130K of assets? Unfortunately, I think the answer is "I wish you had asked me this question 20 years ago." 3 to 5 years expenses in Treasuries might well eat up the entire $130K.

I think one must be extremely cautious in such a situation, and part of the answer (depending on the exact circumstances, of course) will probably be to defer retirement and begin a conservative investing program immediately.
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us