The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/frl49-you-asked-ltlt-is-it-wise-to-buy-long-11688784.aspx

Subject:  Re: long term health insurance Date:  12/20/1999  11:53 PM
Author:  TTRoberts Number:  16683 of 75642

frl49, you asked:

<< Is it wise to buy long term health insurance. GE has a plan for I think $500 a year and you get $100/day when you need it for 4 years. Does that sound sufficient ?I am 51 yrs. old. Any other suggestions on long-term. >>

YES, it's wise to buy long-term care insurance. Whether or not $100/day for 4 years is sufficient or not depends on the area you live in. In some states one might need $130 to $150 per day. As for the period of 4 years, that's enough of a period to cover most of the odds of needing it for longer. For most places in the U.S., this amount and period is fine (depending on just what YOU feel you want). Not much can be said about the premium as one would have too take a closer look at what else you're getting or not getting. But I suspect there are some additional things you might want to consider (like inflation protection, which is VERY important).

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us