The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/newby-q-how-to-convert-ira-to-roth-11704583.aspx

Subject:  Newby Q. How to convert IRA to Roth Date:  12/23/1999  10:40 PM
Author:  bghouse Number:  16828 of 75772

Hello,

I am thinking about taking the funds I have now in a non-deductable IRA account and converting them to a Roth IRA account at a different institution. The nice person at Ameritrade said that I would have to deposit the funds from my existing IRA into a new traditional IRA account at Ameritrade - then request to convert them to a Roth. Whew! The mind boggles at the paper work to do that.

So, I have somewhat resolved myself to that, but I am concerned about the mechanics. I've been told that I can either request Ameritrade to have the funds transfered from my old account, which would take weeks, or that I could request my funds by check which I then would have to deposit within 60 days.

My girlfriend understands that if it's not a direct transfer, if I ever receive a check, that I would then have to pay a penalty.

What is the correct gouge? I'd like to make this happen as quickly as possible and the second scenario seems most efficient.

Thanks,
Bill
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us