The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/hello-everyone-and-thank-you-in-advance-i-am-new-11715178.aspx

Subject:  Re: inheritance and capital gains taxxes Date:  12/28/1999  12:41 AM
Author:  rjm1 Number:  16954 of 74759

Hello everyone and thank you in advance. I am new to your world and have already read alot of amazing and simple
information. The way investing common sense has been witheld is deplorable,it has always seemed in code.What a
relief!I have become very concerned now because I underst and I am to inherit an amount of money. I may lose a large
percentage to taxes! My grandmothers money is in cd's and she will leave them to me. What do i ask of her? Form a
living trust? Reinvest somehow? All feeling aside she is very wise, this was hard earned money and I want to invest it
wisly when I inherit.

Neither you nor the estate will pay capital gains taxes. A trust will not change the taxes due. CD's should be easy to handle so I would not look toward a trust.

If the estate is large say 650,000 or more then you will have a federal estate tax problem. If you do have the problem she can give away 10,000 a year with out a gift tax problem.

You do not say if your gramdmother needs the income from the CD's etc. If it makes sense, she could invest half in low risk equity investments.

If she does not have a will then she should see an estate planning attorney.

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us