The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/if-you-are-completely-convinced-you-are-always-11731147.aspx

Subject:  Re: long, long term investing Date:  12/30/1999  10:41 PM
Author:  OldOne Number:  17126 of 75335

If you are completely convinced you are always going to be content working for someone else and having them make fundamental decisions about your life then just put the money in an index fund and be done with it.

By putting a few hours a month into investing, in less than 10 years I have gone from having almost no savings to being almost independent. Darned good thing too, because I work in a declining industry and may need to be on my own sooner than I planned when I was 20.

Right now the job picture looks pretty good in most places, but when the economy takes a downturn, and it absolutely will do this more than once in the next 45 years, you will stand much taller with a sizeable portfolio than without one.

Many career paths that were hot 30 years ago are now dead ends, and believe me, spending a few hours a month tracking my portfolio at a time of my choosing, in my own home, is a lot better than learning a new career late in life.

Plus, I am beholden to no one, can never be fired from being manager of my own portfolio, and will never have to go looking for a job with hat in hand.

Look upon managing your own portfolio as being similar to owning a business of your own, except the the odds are stacked in your favor instead of against you. Something like 80% of small businesses fail in the first five years. I would bet that 90+% of the people who have been following the Fool for 5 years are sitting on a pretty sizable chunk of cash (well O.K., stocks then), and have a lot fewer wories than most.

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us