The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Foolish 401(k)s

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/im-starting-a-retirement-plan-for-my-business-in-11731715.aspx

Subject:  Re: 401k administrators Date:  12/31/1999  1:18 AM
Author:  ACorkos Number:  5486 of 25247

I'm starting a retirement plan for my business in 2000. There will be three participants in the plan - myself and 2 full time employees. I found a third party administrator (a CPA specializing in retirement plans) who is setting up a Safe-Harbor 401K - requires a minimum 3% employer contribution (up to 15%) and allows up to 15% employee contribution ($10,500 maximum). This type of plan worked best in my situation.

The best part, though, is that the money can be invested any way I want. Initially, I will be investing the contributions as one collective "lump" in a business account at E*Trade. When all the participants have enough contributed to meet the $1000 account minimum, then the money will be distributed into 3 self-directed accounts.

The Safe-Harbor 401K was the best plan for my situation - get some advice as to what type of plan would work best for you. The cost was $1000 to set up the plan, and it will run $1500 a year for the record keeping and tax filing. That cost seemed reasonable to me, and it lets me have virtually unlimited investment options. Stay away from banks and insurance companies. I dont know about you, but I'm already paying my bank and insurance companies more than I care to.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us