The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/having-never-posted-before-im-about-to-plunge-11745318.aspx

Subject:  Re: Mom's Investment Date:  1/3/2000  5:41 PM
Author:  AmPalone Number:  1283 of 19483

Having never posted before, I'm about to plunge in; if I can be of help. I don't know what state you're mom is in, but depending upon where she is, the nursing home costs can vary considerably. In addition, depending upon her condition, that factors in to the cost. My dad had costs of upwards to $80000 per year, living in New York, had having a progressive debilitation of Parkinsons. So of course, you can invest her 240K agressively at say, 75% Equity/25% bonds but the point is: for how long will that last? No one can tell "when" but have you thought of the 36 month look-back period that allows Medicaid to kick in when resources are depleated? This 36 month time frame has reprocussions. I'd rather not go into the details here, but you should check with an ESTATE attorney in order to make the accommodations necessary. So its not just what vehicles you plan to invest your mom's 240K--its what account names etc...that comes important down the line.

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us