The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/agree-i-look-for-bonds-that-have-short-maturity-11754218.aspx

Subject:  Re: 80 and Unsure Date:  1/5/2000  10:50 AM
Author:  jeBrowning Number:  17379 of 86161

Agree. I look for bonds that have short maturity maturity dates (usually less than 5, but I'll go to 7 in some cases). Also, it is nice to find plays in areas where I would like to invest or think may turn around but it may take some time. Current bond holdings include Silicon Graphics, Alza and Inco. I also have some Pilgram Prime Rate Trust. PPR holds a diversified portfolio of mostly B or BB companies. BUT these are Senior Notes, i.e., backed up by equipment or real estate. I didn't look it up today, but the yield usually runs around 8.5%. PLUS, if you reinvest the dividend it invests at a half percent below the market value--giving you a real yield of 9% or so with very little risk. I also do preferred stock. A recent purchase was St.Paul Companies--an insurance company with a brokerage component.
Copyright 1996-2017 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us