The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/wannabe-fool-with-ira-questions-11758401.aspx

Subject:  WannaBe Fool with IRA Questions Date:  1/5/2000  9:54 PM
Author:  BillKi Number:  17408 of 75523

I want to save some additional money for retirement. I have been exploring this site for several weeks, and have bought a couple of books on the subject, of course one of them was the Motley Fool book "You have more than you think" I have another couple from Suzi Orman, but I still have questions.

I have a fully vested pension fund with the teamsters. I am currently participating in my employers 401K where I am putting 14% of my salary (they match part of it, so will continue with that). My AGI for last year was 55,000 and I understand that excludes me from investing in a traditional IRA.

So now I am thinking about a Roth IRA and from what I have read, it works for me. I intend to leave the money in there until I decide to retire (God knows when that will be!) and regularly add to it.

It appears that I am limited to 2000 per year. Is that right?

I have about 3500 tucked away in a savings account and thought I would use it to invest in something that earns more than the 2.75% it is now getting!

After much reading, it appears that Index Funds would be a good vehicle for me as I am not yet comfortable with individual stocks.

I intend to open an account with a discount brokerage and am currently investigating the choices.

I would appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us