The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/ltltmy-mother-just-turned-60-and-finally-has-11760041.aspx

Subject:  Re: Starting at 60 Date:  1/6/2000  9:01 AM
Author:  JLC Number:  17424 of 76397

<<My mother just turned 60 and finally has been in a position to start saving extra money. She only has about 2-3,000 to start investing but feels it is too late to do her any good. >>

Ditto here. However, at 60, with a good genetic predisposition, good health, and good fortune, your mother could live to be 90+. That's what my mother is looking at because my Granny is 92+, smart as a whip, and can't wait for baseball season to get going again! Over the next 10-15 years a sizable sum could be saved and invested that'd help take care of her or to leave a "legacy" to her grandchildren.

<<I think she may have several options open but not enough knowledge to offer any advice. What's the best bets to start researching for her? >>

As with anyone, go to the Fool's School to start. Some of it probably doesn't apply, but at least it'll give you some background ideas as to what this place is all about. Then I'd check out the Workshop Screen explaination area.

The only specific advice I'd give, if she qualifies, open a Roth IRA.

JLC
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us