The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: contribution to a roth IRA Date:  1/6/2000  7:00 PM
Author:  Bobbcat Number:  17455 of 88497

TMFPixy wrote:
Annual contributions to a Roth or to a traditional IRA must come from earned income, and that means wages/compensation from a job. Your CD interest and principal will not qualify for the purposes of a Roth IRA contribution.

I add:
If you had earned income in 1999 of at least $2,000 or will have $2,000 earned income in 2000; you can use the money from the CD to make a 1999 or 2000 contribution.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us