The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/ff-or-qqq-roth-ira-or-not-11786163.aspx

Subject:  FF or QQQ? Roth IRA or not? Date:  1/10/2000  11:50 PM
Author:  gdhorowitz Number:  17627 of 74759

OK, I know this is one of those questions that I ultimately have to answer for myself, but I'd appreciate if anyone can suggest arguments for or against this strategy, and help me make my decision.

I'm 26 and have been contributing to my Roth IRA for the last two years. I've finally Fool-ified my portfolio, and have that $4K in E-Trade, where I'm all set to invest in the Foolish Four.

The thing is, now that it's already 2000, I can contribute another $2K (and I have it available).I'm reasonably certain that I should in fact put the money into the Roth (I have an additional $5K in an S&P index fund and around $10K in other assorted stocks).

My question is, if I do that, should I put all $6K into the Foolish Four? If I'm going to do that, I obviously should wait until the new contribution clears, so I can reduce my commission as a percentage of the total.

But while I know that while a Roth is the perfect vehicle for FF, I'm also wondering if I should "diversify" within the Roth, and perhaps put the last $2K into, say, a NASDAQ index fund.

Comments? Like I said, I'm just looking for advice on what factors I should consider.

Thanks in advance
gdh
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us