The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/ltnow-that-i-have-a-lot-of-time-to-do-my-own-11806415.aspx

Subject:  Re: 0n-line brokers Date:  1/14/2000  1:43 AM
Author:  gurdison Number:  1570 of 19218

<Now that I have a lot of time to do my own research, I am looking for a good on-line broker so I can save money. Do any of you have any opinions on which companies are better than others--or better yet, who to stay away from? I would be very interested in hearing what you have to say! >

Everyone has different ideas over what is the most important feature in dealing with an online broker. For some the only issue is trading cost. For others, products offered, reliability, or convenience (having a local office), etc. are most important.

See if you can find a copy the June 1999 issue of SMART MONEY. They give a complete review of the top 21 discount brokers. They give them all an overall rating and a rating by catagory. Siebert was the #1 overall. Schwab was #1 for online trading. Waterhouse was rated #1 for breadth of products and extra services. The article also gives an 800 number for each firm reviewed. Decide what issues are most important to you, then make your decision. Good luck!

BRG

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us