The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/as-has-been-stated-the-best-thing-to-do-is-keep-11812669.aspx

Subject:  Re: How low can you go? Date:  1/15/2000  12:41 AM
Author:  4aapl Number:  2221 of 736898

As has been stated, the best thing to do is keep track of your expenses for a while, and then work from there.

But you'll have quite a bit of work from that point if you want the estimate to be accurate. You'll need to add in insurance. But then the whole backpacking thing adds a nice twist. Assuming you won't be keeping a place somewhere while on a 3-6 month backpacking excursion, you'll be able to drop out the cost of an apt or house. You might need to add in a little for storage of your car if your brother wants to see it kept in good shape. And you might want to add in some money for some equipment upgrades....GPS's are getting to better price points :)

In my case I would love to do some more camping and backpacking once I leave the job dependent world. But most likely I would have to limit my trips to a month or so, as I'm a little too addicted to technology, and so would have to keep residence somewhere. That being said, it would be nice to move around some and try out some places.

Anyways, I'm drifting so I'd better finish this up. Best of luck on it all, especially the Pacific Trail :)

4aapl
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us