The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Rental Property Date:  1/23/2000  3:53 PM
Author:  Taxslave Number:  25817 of 127753

You would only use the FMV as your taxable basis in this situation where the FMV was LESS THAN your adjusted cost basis.

As a side note, it is very important that you closely track your depreciation deductions as this will affect your basis and the recognition of income at the time you sell your house.
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us