The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-had-a-brokerage-account-with-discover-brokerage-11871523.aspx

Subject:  Re: Roll IRA into ROTH. Date:  1/25/2000  11:44 PM
Author:  DavidBechtel Number:  18232 of 76079

I had a brokerage account with Discover Brokerage, a subsidary of MSDW. Last Fall I received an email that MSDW was going to abandon Discover Brokerage and my account would be with MSDW effective immediately.

Further, the email expained that my trade costs were going to increase from $14.95/trade to $29.95 per trade in February 2000. I immediately went shopping for a new online discount broker.

I considered Suretrade, but finally decided on American Express Brokerage due to low trading cost based on an alert from The Motley Fool. Accounts over $100,00.00, no cost per trade, on accounts above $25,000.00 to $100,000.00 no cost to buy a stock, $14.95 to sell a stock. Under $25,000.00, cost per trade $14.95. You may want to check their website.

Prior to investing for myself (1997 to mid 1999)in the stock market, I was the proud owner of (6) different Mutual Fund Portfolios (one with Janus Fund). I have since liqidated all but (1) Mutual Fund (Vanguard 500 Index)and invest on my own in individual stocks using mainly "mechanical strategies" found at The Motley Fool website.

My mutual funds did not increase my total porfolio balance for almost 20-months. With the help of The Motley Fool and my investing in individual stocks, I have increased my portfolio overall by over 30% since August 9, 1999.

I would suggest that you shop for a new discount broker and give careful consideration before purchasing any mutual funds (except maybe for Vanguard 500 Index). I feel like nobody cares more about MY money than I do.

Good luck and good investing.

Dave B
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us