The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/and-the-post-tax-contributions-will-come-to-you-11887866.aspx

Subject:  Re: 401k pre/post contributions Date:  1/28/2000  1:33 PM
Author:  gabriel13 Number:  18387 of 76418

And the post-tax contributions will come to you as cash, to do with as you choose

I have a question regarding this process. If I leave at the age of 30, say, and have a mixture of pre- and post-tax contributions to my 401k, I can rollover the pre-tax funds to a Rollover(Conduit) IRA, right? Any earnings from these funds will be rolled over as well with all taxes deferred until distribution. But what about the post-tax contributions? The way I understand it, the reason for contributing post-tax funds is because the earnings are tax exempt, similar to a Roth. Is that true? What about the post-tax earnings?

In the scenario Phooley mentioned it seems that all pre-tax contributions and ALL earnings will be rolled over to a Conduit IRA, while post-tax contributions will be distributed. Am I understanding what you are saying? Also, Phooley, would those post-tax contributions be distributed as a qualified distribution?

Sorry if these are old questions, I am attempting to figure out what I should max out in terms of retirement money. Please point me to the posts or links if these have already been answered multiple times. Thanks

Gabe
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us