The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/ya-know-reading-the-unwritten-rules-of-wage-11904455.aspx

Subject:  Re: Unwritten Rules of Wage Slavery Date:  1/31/2000  7:54 PM
Author:  dhewie Number:  2766 of 749527

Ya know, reading the Unwritten Rules of Wage Slavery, and the talk of all of you "Free" people, makes me kind of thankfull of where I am. I have a good education, but it has not exactly gotten me the big bucks I was hoping for. I make enough to live comfortably, but not a lot. I have thought off and on whether I should look for another job. It's not only the money, but the 45 minute commute. But, thinking about it, I really am quite satisfied with my job. I can honestly say that I cannot relate to any of the five rules hocus talked about. I can take vacation anytime I want. Sure, I tell my boss first, to make sure there isn't a conflict since someone else has to cover a couple of the things I do. But that's common courtesy. Rule 2 definately doesn't apply. In our company's culture, work is the third priority. Number one is God, number 2 is family. I very seldom work more than 40 hours. Of course, my boss won't argue if I want to stay late. As for rule 3, we definately have fun. Everyone gets along great, we have luncheons in shipping all the time. As for number 4, control is definately not an issue. The last rule isn't an issue either. We are not pressured into anything, we do things because we actually want to.
I guess I am fortunate to work for such a company. Our company is more like a family. We work together toward a common goal which is to provide good, quality, life-enriching, Christian books. Though I find Dilbert very funny, pretty much none of those comics relate to our company. I would urge anyone who is unhappy with their job, to find another. I support those who "retire" to do other meaningful, fulfilling work. But if you just want to quit because you hate where you are, there is greener grass on the other side. I won't have the kind of money to retire at 40, but don't think I'll mind working longer, and being able to enjoy my free time, unlike some of those who have already replied on this subject.

Doug
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us