The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-guess-i-am-fortunate-to-work-for-such-a-11905156.aspx

Subject:  Re: Unwritten Rules of Wage Slavery Date:  1/31/2000  9:59 PM
Author:  CindyC72 Number:  2771 of 740366

I guess I am fortunate to work for such a company.

You definitely are, and I can tell that you know it and appreciate it, which is great!

I like what I do, but I work for a BIG company, and it sure does get frustrating at times. There are days I would do it for free, and days that you just cannot pay me enough! I am very lucky that my immediate boss is wonderful, but her boss is a total nitwit. And I know I will not be lucky enough to have her as a boss forever. :( So, I plan so I don't have to work forever.

Also, my father died very suddenly at the very young (at least to me) age of 50. That has probably influenced me more than anything else, but that is another post.

And I must tell my "good boss" story. I went in late today (we realllllly need to get a better contractor for snow removal in our neighborhood!) but I had to leave at the dot of 5. I am sure that she thought that I would probably stay a little later because I had come in later, but my mom had to put the family dog to sleep this morning, and I just felt that I needed to get over to her house this evening - just one of those important things. I told my boss I had to jet and why (I don't necessarily beleive that you have to spill your guts to the boss every time you either have to leave early or something like that, especially if you have cleared the time beforehand, but I just felt this was different.) She completely understood (well, she is also a dog person) and I kinda felt bad, cause I thought she was going to cry. I told her to go home and give her dog a big hug for me. It's nice to work for someone who understands that a pet is just as much a part of the family as anyone else.

I don't hate my job by any means, but I just can't do it forever.

Cindy
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us