The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: ST Gain Loophole??? Date:  1/31/2000  11:35 PM
Author:  Skwire Number:  26567 of 127549

Has anyone heard of a special classification for
someone who generates their income from trading.
(Something like a professional trader) This
classification allows them to avoid short term capital
gains taxes because they are not seen as capital
gains, but rather as income. I think I read something
about this somewhere, but I can't remember where, and
the more I thought about it I can't believe it is
true. I mean what then stops the card counter from
being classified as a pro and not paying gains on
their winnings? Any help/info is appreciated in
finding out if
1. There is such a thing.
2. Where I can find more information on it.

You may want to try running a search such as "active trader" in the search feature towards the top of the screen. I note that one post by TMFTaxes that was pulled-up by that search (Post # 13441, titled Trader Status) which contained, among other things, the following:

Since this is not the trader area, you might want to check out the Fairmark ( tax site. Kaye Thomas does an excellent job with dealing with trader issues.

Best of luck.

"The taxpayer -- that's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take a civil service examination." -- Ronald Reagan

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us