The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Income taxes Date:  2/1/2000  12:50 AM
Author:  chesterman Number:  26568 of 127753

Please pardon this question, but I am a newbie on this board. Here is my problem: three years ago I worked for Capital One (COF) and took part in the stock purchase plan. Other than my IRA and 401K, I had never before invested in securities, so I did not know to keep records of the shares that I bought. Earlier this year, after the 3-1 split, I sold two-thirds of my COF holdings and diversified my portfolio. I just got the tax form for the shares I sold, and I am not sure what to do now. Although I did very well with COF, I don't know if I have to declare ALL of the money I made as income. Or maybe I do, I just have no experience here. Should I hire a tax preparer? Thanks in advance!
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us