The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: tax question Date:  2/1/2000  6:34 AM
Author:  pmarti Number:  26575 of 127745

<< I have a couple tax questions if somebody could help me out. 1st - How do you handle the gain from making money on a stock that was shorted? Should I treat it as if I bought it and didn't short it? Is there any special rules? 2nd - What is the tax schedule I need to get for debit interest - money I paid to borrow on margin - so I can get credit for it. Any help would be appreciated. >>

You report short sales the same way you report long ones. It just looks funny because the sell date precedes the buy date.

See the instructions for Form 1040, Schedule A for reporting margin interest.

Phil Marti
Tax Preparer
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us