The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Income taxes Date:  2/1/2000  6:39 AM
Author:  pmarti Number:  26576 of 127513

<< Please pardon this question, but I am a newbie on this board. Here is my problem: three years ago I worked for Capital One (COF) and took part in the stock purchase plan. Other than my IRA and 401K, I had never before invested in securities, so I did not know to keep records of the shares that I bought. Earlier this year, after the 3-1 split, I sold two-thirds of my COF holdings and diversified my portfolio. I just got the tax form for the shares I sold, and I am not sure what to do now. Although I did very well with COF, I don't know if I have to declare ALL of the money I made as income. Or maybe I do, I just have no experience here. Should I hire a tax preparer? >>

A paid preparer is going to know less than you do about what you paid for the stock. Perhaps the administrator of COF's ESPP could help you reconstruct what you paid for the shares.

For general information about basis, see the FAQ for this board or type "basis" in the search box and hang on.

Phil Marti
Tax Preparer
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us