The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/any-ideas-on-how-to-locate-a-financialtax-11906819.aspx

Subject:  Re: Financial/Tax Planners - ISO AMT Date:  2/1/2000  8:48 AM
Author:  mathetes Number:  26581 of 121095

Any ideas on how to locate a Financial/Tax Planner who understands ISO AMT and exercise planning?

I've found an excellent tax accountant who knows how to properly insert the correct values and grind the numbers using professional tax prep tools (good for looking at only one year), but this is not enough.

What I need is a multi-year planner with appropriate risk assessment and management to prevent becoming badly upside down because of a market correction that reduces a momentum inflated valuation down to one where a value investor (aka a "Foolish" small cap investor) will buy it.

If and when you find one, post the name and phone number please.

Like you, I have an excellent tax accountant, one who knows well how to use his software to figure this year's taxes, or to run any "what-if" scenario that I propose. BUT, he readily admits that ISO-related AMT is a relatively new area to him -- he had to go to somebody else initially with a lot of his questions -- and thinking strategically about them is just beyond his ken.

In other words, it's up to us, the clients, to think of the what-if, to invent alternative scenarios that can be run through the software. That's a more than a little unsettling, considering the potential magnitude of the taxes involved.....

mathetes

By the way, have you read up on the subject over at www.fairmark.com?
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us