The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/blissak-wrote-the-relationship-of-many-people-to-11906931.aspx

Subject:  Re: Unwritten Rules of Wage Slavery Date:  2/1/2000  9:10 AM
Author:  piz Number:  2786 of 734744

BlissAK wrote:
The relationship of many people to the early retired person is complicated. So perhaps is the relationship many individuals have with their own concept of not working for a living. Productive people are admired. Remember how the word "lazy" associates with the term "good for nothing"? Leaving the world of earned income does not, of course, make a person unproductive or unworthy but it raises the question. In the minds of others and in ourselves.

Hear, hear! To that I'll just add that investing is no less productive a job than any other. A big mistake most people make is to think that only the sweaty guys working the machinery are doing any real work. Without investors, the sweaty guys don't have any machinery.

When I retire early in no way will I feel lazy or unproductive, even if all I do every day is spend half an hour watching my investments and the rest of the time lying around. Investors do produce!

Piz
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us