The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/if-you-continue-your-zealotry-and-persist-on-11907872.aspx

Subject:  Re: Unwritten Rules of Wage Slavery Date:  2/1/2000  11:55 AM
Author:  wendyolson Number:  2793 of 734701

If you continue your zealotry and persist on talking to everybody you meet about early retirement, my question to you is: who the hell will be around to keep working their asses-off so we early retirees can watch our stock portfolios grow while we worry about asteriods hitting the earth???

HAHA! Very Funny!

I can see both sides of this: the desire to retire early can at times be very strong, but so can the desire to make a large, positive contribution to the world we live in. It seems like too often we stay in jobs we no longer find to be rewarding, because we are addicted to the security offered by the job.

A solution may not be to retire early (because as you suggest, if everybody does that the world economy would be in a hairy state). Rather, a solution may be to change jobs more often... even allow ourselves to be unemployed for a while until a truly rewarding job or career becomes available to us.

I'm a new fool, but this is just my $.02.

:) Wendy

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us