The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/hocus-writes-the-unwritten-rules-of-wage-11907961.aspx

Subject:  Re: Unwritten Rules of Wage Slavery Date:  2/1/2000  12:06 PM
Author:  Conehead Number:  2795 of 757781

Hocus writes:
The Unwritten Rules of Wage Slavery:
Until you reach the day when you are independent of the need to work for pay, someone owns you.
Rule One: You Have To Say "Pretty Please" To Take Vacation Time.
Rule Two: Work Is The Norm, Personal Life Is The Exception.
Rule Three: You're Not Here To Have Fun.
Rule Four: Free Agents Need Not Apply.
Rule Five: You Have To Buy At The Company Store.

Wow, it seems like you've had some bad experiences. I can take my vacations whenever I feel like it, as long as someone will be able to cover my workload. I take "non-vacations" all of the time. My coworkers and I tend to be very emotional aobut our jobs. Nearly all of us work even during non-traditional work times. Almost all of things you mention that your employers frowned at.

But despite our very different experiences, and my hope that most employers actually have a good attitude about their employees, I essentially agree with you.

I love my job. I love working. And my job is the central thing in my life and I like it like that.

But I'm still planning on retiring within five years. Although I define "retiring" as being financially independent. I probably won't actually stop working. I wouldn't know what to do with myself. I just want the ability to stop working without worrying about the consequences.

Because despite the fact that I love my company and my job, and despite the fact that I know I could find another job within days should I decide to quit, I still feel uncomfortable with the fact that I am dependent on a salary. I couldn't decide to work full-time on Open Source projects. I couldn't take a year off to take care of a sick relative. I couldn't decide to spend two months learning a new technology because I thought it had great potential. In other words, even though I love my job, it's still a job.

So, like you, I'm looking for the day when the work I do will be on different terms.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us