The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-still-feel-uncomfortable-with-the-fact-that-i-11908288.aspx

Subject:  Re: Unwritten Rules of Wage Slavery Date:  2/1/2000  12:46 PM
Author:  hocus Number:  2799 of 737219

I still feel uncomfortable with the fact that I am dependent on a salary. I couldn't decide to work full-time on Open Source projects. I couldn't take a year off to take care of a sick relative. I couldn't decide to spend two months learning a new technology because I thought it had great potential.

Many people view the idea of retiring early as a radical notion. However, if the concept is defined in the way you suggest--the ability to make one's own decisions about what work to do, and how and when to do it--it is the corporate wage model that is unusual. Farmers worked like dogs, but they did not have to commute to the office, deal with office politics, worry about layoffs, or accept assignments that did not make sense to them.

The industrial revolution took away the drudgery of much work, but it installed us in boxes and cubicles. The issue on the table today is, can we have the benefits of the industrial revolution without the downside?

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us