The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-couldnt-agree-more-with-your-observations-i-11909636.aspx

Subject:  Re: Unwritten Rules of Wage Slavery Date:  2/1/2000  4:22 PM
Author:  chalmetion Number:  2836 of 740207

I couldn't agree more with your observations. I retired last April at age 47. I gave one months notice after 23 years with the largest oil company on earth, and only a few days after giving my notice, I was politely asked not to return. Even though I was more than willing to train my replacement who was hired some months before. Since then I have had a ball traveling and trading stocks. And I made 3 times as much after leaving, than when I worked!

But the most rewarding aspect of this is recapturing the power to do what you want when you want. To anyone reading this and thinking that they cannot retire early, I would say, Nonsense! At age 20 I had about $200 to my name. But I worked and saved, alot. Give up the new car and expensive vacations. And the power of money making money will serve you well. Fool on!
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us