The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: rollover IRA Date:  2/1/2000  4:53 PM
Author:  TMFPixy Number:  18584 of 87981

Greetings, Joy2dworld, and welcome. You wrote:

<<i have a nondeductible IRA that already mature. however, i'm running out of time to move them from my bank to a mutual fund of my choice. A rep. from my mutual fund told me to have a distribution and i have 30 to 60 days to roll over to another IRA. Somehow i remember that if i want this route it should not pay directly to me or else i will be penalize.So if i want a distribution for me to rollover to another IRA what name should be put in the check as a payee, is it my name or the mutual fund name where i will is greatly appreciated.>>

You were correctly informed by your current custodian. You may have the proceeds issued to you by check in your name. You then have 60 days from the date on that check to get it to a new IRA of your choice. If you act within that time, there will be no taxes or penalty on the distribution. Just ensure the amount you receive is the full amount of the IRA, and that the custodian has withheld nothing for income taxes. The vast majority of custodians will do that provided you ask and inform them that the money will be rolled to another IRA within the prescribed 60 days.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us