The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/we-work-longer-for-a-number-of-reasons-not-the-11910075.aspx

Subject:  Re: Unwritten Rules of Wage Slavery Date:  2/1/2000  5:28 PM
Author:  bmullens Number:  2844 of 744586

We work longer for a number of reasons not the least of which is the fact we work to pay taxes until about the middle of May. I computed it last year. Including property taxes, auto registration, tollway charges, sales tax, etc., I lose about 56% of my gross income to taxes. Thankfully, I am able to shelter a huge portion of my earnings. I am, however, forced to live well below my means to dodge the taxman (which is probably a good thing in terms of retiring early).

I think another contibuting factor is the lack of job security we have today. Our parents went to work after college or high school and stayed at the same company (or changed jobs once, maybe twice in their career) until retirement. After retirement, they could count on a nice pension and Social Security to prop up their nest egg. Companies today "churn and burn" employees and replace high wage earners with eager college grads at bargain prices. I don't think companies value their employees much these days.

Technology, which is supposed to be making our lives easier, makes it impossible to "tune out" the workday. If I don't stick around and answer every e-mail and voicemail, every page and cel call before I go home, I'm forced to take the work home. God forbid anything should wait until the following business day.

Finally, I work longer hours because my boss and colleagues do. We call last minute meetings at 4:59pm that run until 7:00. Last summer I had to leave a (last minute) meeting early because we had baptism classes scheduled for 6:45pm on a Tuesday night. This appointment was made a month ahead of time and I was the "weak link" because I had to leave the meeting at 6:30.

I guess we work longer hours because we can.

Fool On,

Brad
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us