The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/if-retirement-is-this-quotover-the-11911776.aspx

Subject:  Re: Unwritten Rules of Wage Slavery Date:  2/1/2000  10:24 PM
Author:  hocus Number:  2866 of 736625

If retirement is this "over the rainbow" time when you will finally be able to do with you life what you have always dreamed about, then it is shackling you to a sup-par day-to-day existence.

Some who pursue early retirement love their jobs and don't have this problem. For some, though, reaching the goal means getting through a period in which they are not happy with their jobs. Of those, some would be unhappy in any event, so the goal of early retirement is not the cause. There is a remaining group, though, that declines more rewarding work because it pays less and would push the early retirement date farther into the future.

People have to do their own analyses as to whether it is worth it or not to be unhappy in their work for awhile in return for a speedier retirement. I think it depends on how long a time we are talking about. Putting up with a bad job for a few years is worth it for the freedom that comes with financial independence, in my view. If it's going to take longer, then I would share your concern that one should not let too much of life pass by for the sake of progress on an early retirement goal.

Of course, if you made the decision to switch to a more satisfying, less renumerative job, you could still apply the principles. You might not achieve an early retirement, but at least a retirement earlier than otherwise.

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us