The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/its-been-the-knowledge-that-it-would-be-unlikely-11914453.aspx

Subject:  Re: Unwritten Rules of Wage Slavery Date:  2/2/2000  11:58 AM
Author:  hocus Number:  2906 of 736840

It's been the knowledge that it would be unlikely that I would find a better employer with equivalently enjoyable work that kept me from quitting.

An issue that has been raised on this thread once or twice is, should one stay at a high-pay, low-satisfaction job in order to make progress on a Retire Early plan. You raise one aspect of the analysis that would need to be done to answer this question.

In reality, you could find a better job if you could "test" hundreds of employers before making a switch. But there is a high transition cost to the employee in moving to a new job. When you move to a new job, you have to adapt to a new corporate culture. You also have to learn about new political agendas of your bosses and others you interact with. You can do a lot of research and still not be sure what your prospects for advancement are in the new job. I hesitate to say this because it sounds improbable, but I have heard stories where people discovered only after accepting a new job that the job was not at all as described; so you could take a better in job in theory, and have a worse job in reality.

This doesn't mean that you should endure an unsatisfying situation forever. But, as with investments, there are significant costs associated with changing your mind too often. So if an early retirement goal can be achieved in a fairly short amount of time, the better bet may be just to tough out a bad situation.

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us