The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/tymmo-asks-hi-i-recently-bought-excel-and-have-11925660.aspx

Subject:  Re: retire early study Date:  2/3/2000  11:03 PM
Author:  intercst Number:  3057 of 736960

tymmo asks,

Hi!
I recently bought excel, and have been having a blast making basic models. I quickly found out my calculus skills are getting a bit rusty! Does anyone know how to solve summation equations using excel without doing each calculation separately?

I haven't done anything like that in 20 years, well before the advent of MSExcel. Maybe BluesH or one of the other math wizards knows.

I have a question on the commercial paper data going back to 1871. Is this an average rate, a realized rate (read the 30's great default), or a particular date in each year?

I got the data from Prof. Robert Shiller's web site. This is his explaination of the commercial paper data.

"The nominal interest rate series, Table 26.1, Series 4 is the total return to investing for six months in January at the January 4-6 month prime commercial paper rate (six month starting January 1980) and for another six months at the July 4-6 month prime commercial paper rate (six month starting July 1980). It is computed as 100[1/((1-Rjan/200)(1-Rjul/200)) - 1]. Data starting 1938 are from the Federal Reserve Bulletin. Data before 1938 are from Macaulay [1938], Table 10, pages A142-60."

intercst

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us