The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/tymmo-asks-i-quickly-found-out-my-calculus-skills-11927819.aspx

Subject:  Re: retire early study Date:  2/4/2000  11:53 AM
Author:  BluesH Number:  3080 of 749400

tymmo asks

I quickly found out my calculus skills are getting a bit rusty! Does anyone know how to solve summation equations using excel without doing each calculation separately?

Actually, I'm confused by the question. The reference to calculus would imply integration over a continuous function; whereas Excel deals with discrete numbers. But if you're saying you have a discrete series described by an equation, and want to solve for the sum over either a finite or infinite range, then no, I don't know enough about Excel to know how to do it. But a quick look at help came up with a reference to the SERIESSUM() function. Maybe that will help.

intercst replies:
I haven't done anything like that in 20 years, well before the advent of MSExcel. Maybe BluesH or one of the other math wizards knows.

Ha, I'm a couple of years older than you. For me, it's probably more like 25 years. But thanks for the compliment.

Bob H, aka Blues

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us