The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/elementary-my-dear-watson-11931251.aspx

Subject:  Elementary, my dear watson Date:  2/4/2000  8:31 PM
Author:  Goofyhoofy Number:  27238 of 121185

I'm quite sure this is a simple one, and I've had such great luck on this board before I thought I'd ask...

I have a 401(k) still with a former employer. It's about $500,000; they tell me that if I roll it out, around $100,000 will be taxable because it was "after tax" contributions. Can you tell me the rate at which it will be taxed? (I'm currently in the ~~40% bracket, and I'm thinking that's the answer, but I don't know.)

I also have a chunk at MSDW which I'm thinking of rolling into the same self-directed IRA (at Schwab) and I assume (and I know how to parse that word) that there won't be any tax implications there, as long as I do it right. Right?

[I've let this linger for far too long, but along with the 401(k) I have at my current employer, the list of "funds" and such is getting ridiculous. And besides, I think I can do better myself. Based on results of my regular port over the past 15 years, I'm sure of it.]

Thanks.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us