The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Roth IRA Conversion Date:  2/6/2000  1:51 AM
Author:  pmarti Number:  27422 of 127753

<< Hi, All I open Regular IRA account in 1997 and end of 1998 I converted to a ROTH IRA. When I was doing my 1998 year tax found out that I'm not eligible to that conversion, because my AGI (Adjusted Gross Income) was over 100K. So I had to deconvert my ROTH IRA into Regular IRA. So now my question is what I need to do. Do I need to report that? >>

Yes. You should have by now received a 1099-R for the recharacterization from Roth back to traditional. You'll report that on the 1040, line 15 and on Form 8606.

Phil Marti
Tax Preparer
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us