The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Roth conversion - 4yr spread Date:  2/6/2000  7:33 PM
Author:  TMFTaxes Number:  27541 of 127513

<< I converted my $16k IRA to a Roth IRA in December 1998. I elected to spread out the reported income over 4 equal annual tax payments. I made the first payment on $4k on my '98 taxes.

This year, due to a military deployment overseas, my reported taxable income is only ~$15k. Is there any way to include my final 3 payments of $4k each (total $12k) to my 1999 taxes, thus taking advantage of my unusually low income for the past year? I was thinking maybe I could convert Roth IRA to a conventional IRA then back to a Roth IRA- would that work, or is there another way? >>

As Phil points out, once the election is made, it's irrevocable. The only way that you could report the remaining spread income this year would be to take a distribution of $8k of the funds from the Roth IRA...which would remove the funds from the Roth IRA and would also subject you to penalties on $8k of conversion...or about $800.

So this is something that I'm sure that you don't want to do. So you're simply stuck with the spread out.

TMF Taxes
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us