The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/what-a-timely-post-for-my-wife-and-i-we-like-11939832.aspx

Subject:  Re: Relationship Of Non-Income Producing Assets Date:  2/6/2000  11:06 PM
Author:  Tomcat98 Number:  3244 of 726243

What a timely post. For my wife and I we like owning a home. I have a question about trading up to a larger house.

Our current home is nice. Our Equity is about $40k of a value total of $160K. We are thinking about buying another home that is a lot larger. This would be a house that would be our final home. We plan on retiring in 10 years. This house is $260k and we would put down 20%. Looking at what it would cost us in future investment earnings is about $220K over the 10 year period. Looks like our projected investment portfolio would be $750k at the end of the 10 year period.

My question really centers around is it wise to make that plunge now or wait til 10 year point? I think about the higher housing cost and that bigger point further out in the future.

Thanks

JDW
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us